Sunday, October 29, 2006

Hard Times for a Fellow Laborer in Christ


I had written to Martin Zender on several occasions in the past and when nothing new had appeared on his blog and website, I wrote once again inquiring how things were going. The following are some excerpts from his answer:

"I'm in a valley right now as far as ministering to the body of Christ goes. I got discouraged ministering to the body of Christ. I kept working and working and getting poorer and poorer, money-wise. I got by during those days because of a few people like yourself. But relatively speaking, it was too few and my heart soon turned away because I couldn't pay even my basic bills. I wish I was at that place where I can minister freely, but I'm not. I hope not to ignore the body of Christ indefinitely. It is just hard to produce godly work when one is discouraged and even a little bitter. I wish I wasn't bitter. It is not a good spiritual trait. But I'm being honest with you. I would like to make enough money from it to be able to serve the body of Christ without having to worry about sustenance. But I know that I have so much more to offer. I know God isn't finished with me. At least I hope He isn't."

If you know Martin, or have read his books and benefited from them as I have, here's an opportunity to help a brother. Martin did not ask me to do this and would probably be upset if he found out. He is not one to make constant, repeated requests for donations. That's just not Martin. If you can, send a donation to him, in $5.00 increments, on his website under the books section. If you can't send him anything, that's OK. However, if what he has written has made a difference in your life, or your walk with God, PLEASE write him an email of encouragement. It is the least we can do. His email address is under "Return to Zender" on his website. The website address is: http://www.martinzender.com
Pray for Martin........

9 Comments:

At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when Copernicus had the cheek to tell the catholic church they were wrong, that the earth revolved around the sun and not vice versa, the institution rejected him. Martin finds himself in the same situation.

if he were to "repent" of his views and come back into the fold of mainstream christianity, it would be much easier for him - but we know he's not going to do that, or at least we hope that he never does.

being true to one's calling can be painful, lonely & frustrating. let us encourage him, pray for him & assist him wherever we can, knowing that G-d has ultimate control over all of our destinies.

go well all.

ruzl.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Trailady said...

I can so relate to this post. I too am battling bitterness because of neglectful & abusive behavior from the church.

Makes me wonder what would happen if believers banded together like those apostles who sold everything and shared their goods among them?

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Chris Ledgerwood said...

I'll check his stuff out. It is sad but true. The Church kills it's wounded. Or at the very least ignores the ones that are standing for the truth!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Hacksaw Duck said...

I'm really sorry to hear that Martin Z. is down right now. He seems like a good guy, and very candid. But what's wrong with just working a regular job and ministering the rest of the time? Maybe that's not his preference, but it seems like a valid option. Paul was a tentmaker.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Don said...

SteveJ-
My sentiments also. I have gotten the idea that he wants to be full-time, but if you can't provide for the family,a change in thought might be in order. I know he has so much more to give. I hope everything turns out for the best.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Don said...

Chris- Martin's stuff in on my level and really speaks to me. I think you might really like his books. There's not a bad one in the bunch. All are very reasonably priced.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Chris Ledgerwood said...

I tried to e-mail him, but it was returned. True, Paul was a tentmaker. But it is still disheartening when you feel no one appreciates what you are doing. I can relate!

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Chris Ledgerwood said...

Yeah, I will purchase one
(a book) when funds permit!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Don said...

Did you go to "return to Zender" on his website? I didn't have any trouble...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home